BICTON OVERSEAS AGRICULTURAL TRUST (BOAT) was founded in 1991 and is a UK – registered Charitable Trust based in Devon, Southwest England. BOAT’s mission is to enhance the personal effectiveness and the management, planning, training and business skills of those key, senior personnel responsible for running agricultural and rural development organisations, development programmes and natural resources training institutes in our target region – East and Central Africa. More than 100 alumni have attended BOAT UK training over the years.
BOAT will be conducting its 24th, fully residential, international training course from 22nd April – 30th May, 2020. It is entitled INSTITUTIONAL MANAGEMENT, BUSINESS PLANNING AND COMMUNICATION (INTERNATIONAL) and will be run by BOAT in conjunction with its new partner, the world-renowned Accent International Language Consultancy, at Bicton College, Budleigh Salterton, Devon – a Further Education College within The Cornwall College Group providing full-time and part-time courses in agriculture and other land-based industries.
The 6-week course (including induction) is fully-timetabled and intense. Full details are available in the Course Leaflet click here. In summary, three modules are delivered through interactive seminars by a variety of tutors, many of whom have substantial development experience. Students will be required to submit a number of written assignments and to deliver PowerPoint presentations. The modules are:
- Governance & Management of Institutions
- Business Management & Planning
- Curriculum Management & Delivery.
The programme will also provide students with the opportunity to visit a number of relevant organisations and events in the Southwest of England.
TO BE SELECTED, CANDIDATES MUST:
- be fluent in English
- be in possession of at least a relevant first degree or equivalent
- have good IT skills, especially in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- be of an age and be in a sufficiently senior role – preferably including some management and training responsibility – to be able to influence the efficiency and effectiveness of their organisation
- have significant work experience in an agricultural or a rural development context
- be medically fit.
The course cost, including full board, accommodation, tuition and course-related UK travel and expenses, is £3,000. Bursaries may be available in exceptional circumstances. Candidates will also be required to fund their own air travel costs to the UK and confirmation of their ability to do this (with evidence) will be required at the time of application.
Successful candidates will also be required to take out medical insurance (including repatriation cover) for the period they will be in the UK. This must be purchased in their own country before travelling.
Selected candidates will be given guidance about the UK Visa application process.
TO APPLY, CANDIDATES MUST:
- Create a CV which includes the information below.
- In a covering email addressed to Adrian Gaunt, Trustee (email@example.com) and copied to David Wendover, Chairman (firstname.lastname@example.org):
a) state how you heard about the BOAT course
b) confirm your ability to fund your travel to and from the UK (with evidence) and also the course fees or request a course fees bursary.
3. Attach ONLY the following:
a) your full CV (as a MS Word or MS Word-compatible document)
b) a separate PERSONAL STATEMENT (less than half a page) explaining how you think the BOAT course would be
of benefit to you and your work
c) a personal reference from your employer
d) a scanned copy of the pages of your passport which show your personal information
e) a scanned copy of your highest qualification certificate.
Your CV should include the following information:
* Full name (as it appears in your passport with ONLY your family name in BLOCK LETTERS)
* Nationality (as it appears in your passport)
* Date of birth and place of birth (as they appear in your passport)
* Marital status (as it appears in your passport)
* Mother language AND any other language(s)
* Passport number + place of issue + date of issue + date of expiry
* Your email address(es)
* Full WORK postal address including Box number + telephone(s) – landline / mobile
* Full HOME postal address including Box number + telephone(s) – landline / mobile
* Any other relevant contact details
* Computer skills level and programs used (as a minimum, confirm working knowledge of MS Word and Excel)
* Religion (if relevant)
* Health status (any health problems relevant to UK College residence must be disclosed)
* Other relevant details for UK College residence (for instance, vegetarian, pork-free or other dietary needs).
* Qualifications, starting with the most recent. In each case indicate:
– Name of qualification
– Grade if applicable
– Name of awarding institution
– Dates of study
– Date of award
– Topic of any research / thesis.
* State whether or not you have visited the UK before for study or any other purpose.
* Appointments, starting with your present post. In each case indicate:
– Employer & employer’s location
– The specific organisation you work(ed) for and your particular location (if different)
– Description of the organisation (for instance, what it does + size + budget + number of staff) + the URL of its website, if any
– Your post title and your main responsibilities.
* Interests and hobbies
* Special course study / visit requests for the time you will be in the UK.